Wood River, NE
Wood River, established in 1866, was originally a railroad station named for the tree-lined river directly north. Three years later this settlement boasted a log Catholic church & a school. In 1874-75 the Union Pacific RR platted a new town of Wood River, three miles to the east. The Railroad station, post office & Jackson’s ‘Road Ranch’ Store were placed on skids and moved to the new location.