St. Libory, NE
St. Libory was founded in 1878 by German settlers from St. Libory, Illinois, seeking a better fortune. At $4 per acre, ten acres were purchased from the Union Pacific Railroad for a Catholic parish, to be named Saint Libory after the home church.
In 1880 the town had 29 businesses and 2 churches. A few original buildings still stand today, and the population has grown to 300.
We are known far and wide for our “St. Libory Melons” plus the homegrown fruits, veggies & pumpkins available at roadside stands throughout the season. a population of 30. By the early 1900s.